Annunciation Parish Pastors

Ilion, New York

Reverend J. Gregory Mulhall - Ilion, NY

Reverend J. Gregory Mulhall was born in Ilion, January 4, 1911, the son of Joseph J. Mulhall and Grace McLaughlin. Father Mulhall was baptized in Annunciation Church, January 29, 1911; his sponsors being William Holland and Margaret McLaughlin. The family moved to Little Falls in 1916. Father attended St. Mary's Academy, Little Falls; and then entered St. Bonaventure College and Seminary. He was ordained a priest May 22, 1937.

Father Mulhall served in the Trenton Diocese for three years. He was then recalled to the Albany Diocese where he served as an assistant at St. Vincent de Paul's Church, Albany for 21 years.

Father returned to his native town to serve as Pastor of Annunciation Church, June 12, 1961. Here he continued to carry out his priestly work until his retirement in 1985.

Obituary Pastor of Church of the Annunciation, Ilion

The Reverend J. Gregory Mulhall, 90, formerly of Ilion and Little Falls, retired pastor of the Church of the Annunciation, Ilion, died Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2001, at Our Lady of Hope residence in Latham, where he has resided for over 10 years.

He was born Jan. 4, 1911, in Ilion, the son of Joseph and Grace McLaughlin Mulhall. The family moved to Little Falls in 1916 and resided at 15 Hancock St. for many years.

Fr. Mulhall was a graduate of St. Mary's Academy, class of 1929, and took his college and seminary training at St. Bonaventure University and Christ the King Seminary at Olean. He was ordained to the Catholic priesthood May 22, 1937, by the late Edmund F. Gibbons, then Bishop of Albany in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Albany. Fr. Mulhall celebrated his first Mass on the 23rd day of May, 1937, at St. Mary's Church, Little Falls.

His first summer appointment was at St. Peter's Church, Stillwater, during the pastorate of Fr. Thomas Deignan. That fall he was assigned to St. John the Evangelist Church in Lambertville, N.J. He served there from 1937 to 1940. Upon his return to the Albany Diocese in 1940, he was assigned to St. Vincent de Paul Church in Albany, where he remained from 1940 to 1961. He was also a high school teacher at its Vincentian Institute for 17 years and principal of the institute for four years. He taught Moral Guidance to the senior boys and religion to the eighth grade students in the grammar school. He was in charge of the altar boys which at that time numbered 150 boys. He was placed in charge of the Rosary Society, which numbered over 1,000 members. He assisted in marriage preparation, instructions of converts to the faith and in an Inquiry Class for those interested in the Catholic faith.

On June 12, 1961, he was named pastor of Annunciation Church by William A. Scully, then Bishop of Albany. He was pastor of this church from 1961 to 1985 - 24 years - and then, at the age of 75, he retired to Our Lady of Hope in Latham. He was a member of the Ilion Sacred Heart Council Knights of Columbus 518.

Survivors include several cousins and many close and dear friends. He was predeceased by his parents and two brothers, Joseph Jr. in 1972 and Hugh Mulhall in 1980. Reception of the body at Annunciation Church, West St., Ilion, will be held at 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18. His body will lie in state from 5:30-7:30 p.m. and 8:30-9:30 p.m. Sunday at Annunciation Church. The Parish Mass will be held at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18, at Annunciation Church.

Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Monday, Nov. 19, at Annunciation Church, Ilion, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated for the repose of his soul by Bishop Howard Hubbard, principal celebrant, and several concelebrants. He will be buried in St. Mary's Cemetery, East Herkimer, in his family's burial plot. May he rest in peace.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Church of the Annunciation, Ilion, or Our Lady of Hope, Latham. Donation envelopes will be available at the Applegate & Day Funeral Home, Ilion, or on Sunday or Monday during services at the Church of the Annunciation. (November 17, 2001)

Reproduced from Parish Booklet - Annunciation Parish 1868 - 1968 with the permission of Father Joseph Benitende

Ilion Alumni | Main | History | Today | Clergy | Assistant Clergy | Sisters | School | Convent | Rectory | Related Links | Search

Created and maintained by Aileen Carney Sweeney - Class of 1974

Digital Image Copyright & Copyright © 1997 - 2014
Modified December 17, 2014