Read more about the IHS Class of 1924 ....as published in the 1924 "Gold Specs".
Class Composite Photograph....
Harold "Boots" Lever, a former student of the Ilion High School, presented a very beautiful cup to the school, as a tribute to William Hempstead and William Schletterer, former students in the High School, who lost their lives in the World War. This cup is to be given to the boy who has earned the greatest number of points based on scholastic and athletic work. Burley Smith, IHS '24, was the first recipient of THE "LEVER" CUP. (June 2, 2012)
Notable 1924 Alumnus....
Discover more about prominent alumnus Marion Clayton Link - IHS '24.
Marion Clayton Link earned a B.S. degree in journalism from Syracuse University. She moved to Binghamton, NY, after graduation, to work as a reporter for the Binghamton Press. She met and interviewed Edwin A. Link and married him in 1931.
Marion helped her husband, Edwin A. Link, researcher and inventor, develop Link Aviation, Inc.. One of Link's best-known inventions is the Link Trainer. By using the Trainer in ground school training flights, during World War II, millions of gallons of fuel were saved. Over 10,000 "Blue Box" Aviation Trainers were procured by the US Government during the war and over 500,000 aviators were trained.
She contributed to scholarly and scientific study, writing archaeological research reports for National Geographic and Smithsonian Institution expeditions and publishing numerous articles.
The Link Foundation was established in 1953 by Edwin A. (1904-1981) and Marion C. (1907-1995) Link. Grants totaling nearly $8 million have been awarded to universities, colleges and other non-profit organizations.
Syracuse University's EDWIN A. LINK HALL OF ENGINEERING, which lines the East side of the Quad and was built in 1970, was named after Marion's husband, Edwin A. Link. Edwin received an honorary doctorate from Syracuse University in 1966.
The Kopernik Space Education Center offers The Link Summer Science Explorations for students from 1st to 12th grade. Sponsored by the Edwin A. and Marion C. Link Foundation, in memory of inventor/explorer Ed Link, Link Explorations introduces students to hands-on and high tech science. (updated May 15, 2012)
Jean Adelaide Roberts Wilson IHS 1924, died May 8, 2002 at Folts Home, Herkimer. She was born in Ilion, May 19, 1907, the daughter of Edward and Jennie Martin Roberts.Jean was raised in a family of music and was an accomplished soprano. Her father was a concert baritone and manager of a music store. Her sister, Luella Roberts Schwartz, was a well known concert pianist, organist and music teacher. Jean was active in musical events during her school years and graduated with honors from Ilion High School in 1924. Jean was a member of the Junior B Sharp Club and sang frequently for musical events in Utica and the Mohawk Valley. She was employed at Remington Cash Register in Ilion and was married to Frank Edward Wilson on August 2, 1927. Moving with her husband and two children to Old Forge in 1931, she became active in the Presbyterian Church as a choir member and was a charter member of the Twenty Twigs of the church. Jean also joined the Old Forge Chapter #449 of the Eastern Star and was a life member. Returning to Ilion in 1935, Jean became active in St. Augustine's Episcopal Church as a choir member and soloist. She was also a charter member of the Alter Guild Sewing Circle, member and past President of St. Augustine's Guild, a member and past President of the Parish Aid. She chaired the annual church fair and was an energetic crafter, rug hooker and knitter, having learned to knit when she was eight years old. Every member of the family has been privileged to own at least one of her handmade hooked rugs and hand knit sweaters and in later years, striped afghans became her passion, calming her as she knit. She knit wool socks for her husband during frequent blackouts of the second World War. While raising a family of 5 children, Jean also belonged to the Ilion Little Theater Club, the Ilion Travelers Club, New Century Club in Utica, Friends of the Ilion Library, AARP and was very active in the Girl Scouts of America, being a board member and Commissioner of Ilion Girl Scouts in 1945 and 1946. She was also employed at Utica Knitting and Sperry Rand/UNIVAC retiring in 1969. Music was her life and her day started and sometimes ended with an opera, a symphony or even some good jazz. Her record collection numbered in the 1000's and she enjoyed her opera collection, CD's and videos. It was a special treat for her to attend an opera at Glimmerglass in Cooperstown. She was an avid bridge player until her eyesight failed. Survivors include her son and daughter-in-law, Robert (Marty) and Elizabeth Wilson; a daughter, Jo Ann Nunneker, all of Ilion; son-in-law, Dale Lane, San Jose, CA; daughters-in-law, Lois Wilson, of Burneyville, OK and Marian Wilson, of Utica, NY; grandchildren, Jennifer Whiteman, Tom Lane, Peter Lane, Jill Marhaver, R. Cory, H. Scott, and Mark W. Nunneker, Kristen and Matt Wilson, Lisa J. Whitner and Misti R. Bourman, Jon, Ben and Courtney Wilson; and 19 great-grandchildren. She also leaves a niece, Barbara S. Maxwell, of Webster, NY and a nephew, Arthur Roberts, of Naples, FL. She was predeceased by her parents; her beloved husband in 1971; her sons, Edward (Ted) Wilson, Berry J. Wilson; her daughter, Carol Jean Lane; her brother, Arthur M. Roberts; and sister, Luella Schwartz. In accordance with Jean's wishes, there are no calling hours. Cremation will take place at the Chenango Valley Crematorium on May 9, 2002 and a Memorial Service will be celebrated at a date to be announced. All arrangements are entrusted to Whiter-Hendrix Funeral Home, 100 Otsego Street, Ilion. Memorials may be made in her name to the St. Augustine's Church, Second Street, Ilion. Jean's family wishes to thank the nurses and staff of the Folts Home, 4th Floor for the excellent care Jean was given during her stay there. (May 9, 2002)
Eleanor M. Brennan IHS '24, 92, formerly of 358 Second St., passed away October 6, 1999, at Folts Home, Herkimer. She was born March 27, 1907, in Ilion, the daughter of John and Margaret Hayes Brennan. She was a graduate of Ilion High School, Class of 1924, and Marymount College of Tarrytown. She was employed, at one time, in the real estate department of the Remington Arms Co., of Ilion. Eleanor was also a concert representative for Columbia Artist Management Co., of New York City, for about seven years. Miss Eleanor Brennan helped organize the Ilion Hospital Guild in 1961 and was past two-term president of the Guild. She was past president of the Ilion Travelers Club and former treasurer of the Ilion Council of Girl Scouts. She was a member of the B Sharp Musical Club of Utica for 70 years, Ilion Little Theater Club and the Fort Schuyler Club of Utica. She was founder of the Ilion Community Concert Series for 10 years and held various positions in the Utica B Sharp Musical Club Community Concert Series for 13 years. She was co-chairman of the World War II War Bond Campaign in Ilion, netting over $25 million. She performed, as a singer, for many years in the Utica and Valley areas. She sang the "Star Spangled Banner", before 10,000 people, when the Remington Arms Co. received the "E" Award from the United States government. She is survived by her niece, Mrs. William (Barbara) Matthews of Lakeland, Fla.; a great-niece, Alison Julie Matthews; one great-nephew, Jeffrey Adam Mathews; and several cousins. She was predeceased by her brother, Francis Brennan, on July 24, 1987. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated October 9 at the Church of the Annunciation. Interment will be in St. Agnes Cemetery, North Ilion. Arrangements are by Applegate & Day Funeral Home. Memorial contributions may be made to the B Sharp Club of Utica. (October 9, 1999)
Created and maintained by Aileen Carney Sweeney - Class of 1974
Digital Image Copyright & Copyright © 1997 - 2015 ilionalumni.com