title

 

Ilion School Superintendent

Dr. Harwood Muzzy Schwartz

1911 - 1923
Ilion Superintendent - Harwood M. Schwartz

Dr. Harwood Muzzy Schwartz was the son of the Rev. H. S. Schwartz, pastor of Baptist churches in Adams Center, Sandy Creek, Gouverneur, Boonville and Holland Patent. Harwood was born in Adams Center and was educated in public schools until the age of sixteen. He spent eighteen months working at the State Hospital at Trenton New Jersey. He also served with the 28th Regiment U.S. V. Infantry in the Philippines, from 1899 to 1901. He then returned to school and graduated from Clinton high school in 1903. He graduated from Hamilton College in 1907. While at Hamilton College, he was a member of Delta Kapp Epsilon fraternity, the Sophomore Society and the honor society. He was captain of the football team in 1906. He was a letterman in basketball and football. He worked for a construction company while he studied in high school and college.

After graduation from Hamilton College, Harwood Schwartz became construction superintendent, for the roofing and water-proofing department, of the Barber Asphalt Paving Company. The company headquarters was in Utica, and he remained with the company until the winter of 1907. He began his academic career as a math teacher at Little Falls High School. He was appointed principal of the Norwich High school in the fall of 1908. While there, he continued teaching mathematics and coached athletic teams until July of 1910. In September of 1910, he was appointed principal of Utica's Public School 19. In January 1909, Mr. Schwartz married Kathrina Burr Burlingame, of Adams, Mass. They later became the parents of three children.

Dr. Schwartz became Superintendent of Ilion Schools on April 1, 1911, and he remained in Ilion until July 1923. Dr. Schwartz submitted his letter of resignation on May 1, 1923 to the Board of Education. That same day, the district voted on a revised building proposition plan. The revised plan came after the voters rejected a major building proposal in a February 1923 election. The second plan was also defeated and the entire Board of Education resigned the same evening after the defeat of the proposal. The members who resigned were Dr. H.H. Redway, Eva Tucker, R.D. LeRoy, Nathan Chase, and George M. Carney.

Harwood Schwartz left Ilion to pursue professional preparation at Columbia University's Teaching College. At Columbia University, he spent two and one-half years, majoring in School Administration. He earned a Doctor of Philosophy Degree in 1927.

Dr. Schwartz, was appointed professor of Education at St. Lawrence University in 1926. The Canton Lions Club was formed in 1935, and Harwood Schwartz served as its first president.

Dr. Howard M. Schwartz, died after a long illness, at Solvang, California, September 9, 1945 at the age of 64. He was residing with his daughter, Mrs. Benedict Rich, at the time of his death. He had accepted a position to serve as Hastings-On-Hudson High School Principal but became ill before he could begin that position. He was survived by his wife, Katrina, of Adams, Mass.; a son, Harwood M. Schwartz, Jr., California, two daughters, Mrs. Katherine S. Rich and Mrs. Hilda Parks, Las Olivas, Calif.; a brother Carlton, Ilion and three sisters, Mrs. John McKennan, Herkimer, Mrs. Jessie O'Hara, Rome and Mrs. Ethel Williams, North Miami.

 

References:
Canton Commercial Advertiser 1926 - Vol 54. No 9
Ogdensburg Advance 1926
Utica Daily Observer May 1 1923
see also nyshistoricnewspapers.org
Commercial advertiser., September 18, 1945, Page 2, Image 2
see also nyshistoricnewspapers.org

 

Created and maintained by Aileen Carney Sweeney - Class of 1974

Digital Image Copyright & Copyright © 1997 - 2015 ilionalumni.com
First published January 16, 1999 - Modified Feb 16, 2015


Alumni Home | Class News | General News | District History | Search | Traditions

Board of Education | First Principals | Superintendents | Principals
District Development | Alumni Association History | Old Stone Building
Morgan Street Building | West Hill School | North Street School | East Frankfort School
Old Forge Road School | Annunciation School | Weber Avenue Elementary School
High School - Pre 1963 | High School Fire 1963 | High School - Rebuilding | High School - Post 1963
Diss Memorial Athletic Complex | Barringer Road Elementary School | Remington Elementary School