|Alumni Home|||||Class News|||||General News|||||District History|||||Search|||||Traditions|
|Bombers Buzz|||||Local|||||Memorials|||||Notable|||||Quill Gallery|||||Reunions|
History of the Ilion's Contribution to the Information Revolution
Ilion, New York
The following items were extracted from Herkimer County at 200.
This book was published by the Herkimer County Historical Society in 1992, 400 North Main Street, Herkimer, New York 13350.
1816 - Eliphalet Remington established gunsmith forge business in the Ilion Gorge.
1828 - Eliphalet Remington moved the business to a point where Steele Creek met the Erie Canal.
1873 - Philo Remington, Eliphalet's son, moved the business towards the Information Age by manufacturing the first typewriter, called the Remington Number 1. It was improved with the new model, the Remington Number 2.
1878 - Remington employees, Lucian Crandall and Byron Brooks made the addition of lowercase letters to the typewriter possible, with their design of a shiftkey mechanism for the Remington Number 2. Thereafter, Remington typewriters dominated the world wide office-equipment market.
"The Remington 2 (the name Remington 1 was used for the latest Sholes & Glidden model) was fitted with a number of improvements to the original S&G design that would last a century. The qwerty keyboard had been designed by Sholes himself, but new to the keyboard was the 'shift' key, that literally shifted the carriage to the front in order to type capitals. And a 'shift' key is what we still call it on our computer keyboards today." - The Virtual Typewriter Museum.
1928 - James Rand merged the Remington Typewriter Company with nine other firms, forming Remington Rand.
1935 - Remington Rand begins manufacturing key punches, tabulators, card sorters, and interpreters in Ilion, resulting in 4,000 jobs in the early 1950's.
1955 - Remington Rand merged with the Sperry Corporation, forming Sperry Rand.
1963 - The first production unit of the Univac 1004 computer rolled off the manufacturing line in Ilion, New York. This was the most commercially successful punch card computer in the history of the Remington and Univac organizations. All of the production activities for the Univac 60/120 series of computers was transferred to the manufacturing site in Ilion, New York.
1964 - Several Univac employees formed Mohawk Data Sciences (MDS) which manufactured a machine that permitted operators to put source data directly on magnetic tape, skipping the card reader. Its success was phenomenal.
1967 - George Cogar, left MDS and formed Cogar Information Systems which made an "intelligent terminal", the forerunner of the personal computer.
Created and maintained by Aileen Carney Sweeney - Class of 1974
Digital Image Copyright & Copyright © 1997 - 2014 ilionalumni.com