Ilion Pirates of Penzance

Ilion Little Theatre Club

The Stables

Ilion, New York


For seventy-five years, members of the Ilion Little Theatre Club have been entertaining the community. The club was founded, in an attic, in 1924. When the Philo Remington mansion, on Remington Avenue, was demolished in 1928, the club moved into the former stables of the estate. Club members converted the stable into a stage, dressing rooms, and an auditorium which could seat one hundred patrons.

1942 - The Pirates of Penzance
Ilion High School's Prof Swarthout and Jim Fenwick

Check out Prof. Swarthout's book, Stable in the Sticks, an entertaining, personal account of his many years with the Ilion Little Theatre Club.

In its beginning years, club membership was limited to a hundred active members and the performances were given only for subscribing members. In subsequent years, membership was opened to anyone interested in theater. Performances were opened to the general public in 1987. In 1989, the Ilion Little Theatre Club merged with the Profile Players II of Little Falls.

Each year, The Ilion Little Theatre Club produces three plays at The Stables. Today, members from the Mohawk Valley gather for monthly dinner meetings, attend rehearsals and work behind the scenes helping the club with each production. Anyone interested in joining the club, "...believed to be the oldest of its kind in the state", can call 315-894-3203, for more information.

Ilion - Remington Stables
Remington Mansion - Ilion, NY

 


back page

Created and maintained by Aileen Carney Sweeney - Class of 1974

Digital Image Copyright & Copyright © 1997 - 2015 ilionalumni.com
Modified Feb 20, 2015

spacer
Alumni Home | Class News | General News | District History | Search | Traditions
Bombers Buzz | Local | Memorials | Notable | Quill Gallery | Reunions
spacer